Reminder

Click On The Pictures To Make Them Bigger

Sunday, September 6, 2009

North Carolina Outward Bound



This brook was right by my "solo" site. Don't let the picture fool you though, this seemingly tranquil stream is home to hand-sized (and probably poisonous) spiders and beady-eyed crayfish that have no problem nipping at your toe.


Half way up a really big hill climb. Looks like it, too.


I've just taken off my shoes so that I can get across to where the photographer is. Looks pretty far, right? I was rootin' for somebody to take a spill, but nobody did.


About to go down a rapid called "Big Pillow". Sure didn't look like a big pillow to me.


You think there's water in our boat, don't you? You're right.


Some cool rocks along the French Broad River. We were told that some people take canoes up to them, hop out and climb up without any ropes.


The whole group. There were 12 of us. This was the second day of our unaccompanied final, during which our two instructors left us and we looked out for each other for three days. We had a fight over which direction to go right after this was taken.


Almost to Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi River. You can see it off in the distance on the left. I think the elevation 6,634 feet.


Heavy packs. Steep climb. Long day.


Looking out from the Black Mountain range... that's what Mt. Mitchell is apart of.


Bear paw print. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the bear that made it.


Peter and I. He's off to the University of South Carolina in the fall.


This is the Lindville Gorge.


Me looking at the Lindville Gorge. A true mountain man.


I'm thinking about how I can escape the group to the nearest washing machine.






Pictures from the Great Smokey Mountains if I remember correctly. Once I get a good camera these will look a lot cooler. Still, pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment